On the Banks of the Red Cedar provides online access to documents, images, film, and audio materials related to the history of Michigan State University. This site is open for use by MSU faculty, staff, students, alumni, and the public. Combining collections from the MSU Archives & Historical Collections, the MSU Libraries, the MSU Museum and other departments around campus, On the Banks provides a unified site where anyone can go to search for information about MSU's history.
Located on the Red Cedar River in East Lansing, Michigan, Michigan State University was founded in 1855 by an action of the State Legislature. The former Michigan Agricultural College became a University in 1955 and currently hosts over 46,000 students.